2010

Customise your Bag

My latest purchase was a lovely bag I got from Accessorize which had such vibrant colors and embellishments on it ; the only problem was it had a very wide platform which cause it to look rather big when you carry it. So bought some velvet maroon ribbon, stitch them on the sides of the bag and it did the trick! It now looks smaller when there are not many things in it and I can always untie it when I have more things.

A little project with a needle and thread and some ribbons. Ribbons saved the day!

Before

Wide sides

After - less bulky when you put it down

Before - when you hold it up

After

Front view

Side view

Letterpress: Membership Card

This semester we had a 6 week letterpress workshop with only 16 places on a first come basis. Truly a blessing to have a spot to join the workshop. In our 3rd week, we had to create a membership card using the Adana Plate Press :) Took 8 hours to get 30 pcs of good ones nailed down. haha Beginner - I am. I'm starting to think letterpress is like doing bonsai.

Getting the font type/ size/ color all on grids

Final work

Letterpress: Development

Letterpress Assignment #2: As founding members of the new 'Tyne Comp Club' (existing club), we were asked to research and consider the possibilities offered by our Group's given theme. We are then to create our individual piece of work combining everything we have learn in our 6-week workshop. My group was given "Tales from the composing room" and I've chose to tell our 16-people club stories from our own experience with letterpress. With 20 copies to create, each little booklet holds 16 cards - quotes from each member of the Tyne Comp Club. I had alot of fun making all these - from scratch! The many dinosaur hours spent were worth every sec of it :)

Development:

Preparation includes getting all text in the right font type and size and get them printed in grids for ease the process of setting the type in the letterpress room

Setting the type with the chosen typeface and size

Using a composing stick to set the type on each of them with the grids as reference

Setting all the type from the composing stick to a tray

Paper preparation:

Paper - cut into desired size and damped it 2 days before printing

Damp cloth to damp the paper: gives a better print result

Printing:

Setting each quote into a chase

Putting back each one of them into the right drawer took patience!

Making of the cover:

Compiling:

Final work

Into The Woods Programme Booklet

This is a programme booklet for the musical poster, "Into the Woods". Got to learn and work on book binding & screen printing for the book cover. And a goody time on hand-stitching the pages of the inner booklets together! Twas hard and fun to make all these right from scratch *happy* :)

Mockup done before working on the booklet

Hand stitch the booklets together

Getting a hand in making the booklet cover

Some errors with making the inner book covers

Preparing my text to be on draft for screen printing

printing on cardstock

Text screen printed in gold